Sunday, September 29, 2013

big sur 21 miler

Going back in time a bit since I wasn't blogging much for a few months earlier this year.  My big race, the one I trained for since January till April was a destination race that took place in Big Sur California   I was doing the most mileage I had done ever 21 miles just short of a half by 6 miles but since the marathon was already full when I registered the 21 did the trick.

the race takes place along highway 1 a very scenic highway drive along the pacific coast.  One of the few times the highway is shut down and it is so worth the opportunity to do this run even with all the hills.  the race usually sells out shortly after it opens too

early early in the morning you are bused to the starting point and it is pretty cold.  we kept warm with some garbage bags and extra layers of clothes

-1-31

but as the race progressed the sun was shining
-1-37

well mostly there were spots that were cloudy and windy but gorgeous.  sites you can't see in a car no matter what becuase there are no turn outs.

-1-40

a very well supported race with tons of entertainment along the way

-1-43

one of my favorite things was the mile markers  this was our mile marker 5 since the full people started at 1 and the 21 milers started near their marker 5   this was one of my favorites because it was the start of a KILLER long hill to hurricane ridge

-1-44

more beauty along the way
-1-42

from the top of the hill you can places we had been

-1-46

at this point I was going strong I was way ahead of my anticipated pace being a slow walk / runner I was hoping for a 430 finish at this point I was doing strong with a 4 hour finish in tack.  note the face in the picture for future refrence

because the boston bombing was just prior to this and because there is a special recognition for people that run the boston marathon and the big sur marathon called the boston to big sur challenge there was army national guard stationed along the way.  they gave out our time as we passed  

-1-48

i could have taken a million pictures
big sur-3

next up was one of the highlights of the race.  for the full marathoners it is the half way point
-1-51

the famous piano music that you can hear for what seems like forever

-1-52

this one made me laugh
-1-53

but it was shortly after this one that was my downfall
-1-54

while beautiful scenery was around us

-1-57

I had a runner come up on my left which in this race is the slow person side and trip me up I don't think he even realized he did it.  But I did a double somersault and a face plant.  scraping up my right shoulder then both my knees then my face.  It took a pretty bad hit though I really didn't know it   several people stopped to help and I continued on till I got to the aid station.  took 10 minutes there to get cleaned up and make sure I didn't need stitches.  they asked if i wanted to finish the race.  HECK no I didn't train this hard to have this stop me.

-1-10

so that fall made me think this was my favorite mile marker
-1-60

and this made me think hmmm someone didn't listen

-1-62


but I continued on it wasn't until I was at my mile 15 that my back started hurting and I slowed my pace.  I ended up with a 5:06 but thought it was best I didn't push to hard I did want to finish

-1-64

and sooner then i thought carmel was in site
big sur-4

-1-11

The face looks pretty good at this point it was the next day that my eye swelled shut and my had became enlarged but it was worth it   I think the next time I do this race I will do the full but that is going to have to wait a few years 26 miles is a lot of training heck 21 was and the fall cost me lots of downtown after the race healing

afterwards we went for a nice dinner and a well deserved drink.  my running buddy was sure people must have thought we got into a fight lol

big sur-6

a day or so later it looked even worse and even now I have a bit of a scar but I was lucky I didn't get a concussion or something worse and that was my first fall ever of course since then I have fallen a few more times ugh lets hope that isn't a new trend.

big sur-5













2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - that looks so painful. I am sorry you fell but I am glad you are taking your time to heal properly before running again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Love the scenery and the signs! I need to put this race on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

this is a non word verification comment blog. If you saw something you like please let me know.